I was over on NBC News reading this article about K-12 classrooms going high-tech when I did something I hardly ever do... I wanted to print it. When I clicked on the print link something I had never seen appeared. It was the CleanPrint interface. I was intrigued.
The CleanPrint interface allowed me to remove pictures, shrink text, and a few other tricks prior to printing... all in the effort to reduce your printing footprint. Take a look at this video for a short two minute CleanPrint overview.
Perceived Ease of Use
Once you have installed the CleanPrint button in your browser (an easy task...watch the video to see how to do this) you can use it to print any webpages cleanly and easily. When you are on a webpage you want to print all you have to do is click that CleanPrint button, format what you want to print and then print.
I already limit my printing but sometimes it is unavoidable. If I have to print, I think that CleanPrint will become a useful tool for me.
- Reduce your impact on resources
- Intuitive and easy to use
- Works on all major browsers
- Free (ad supported)
- Page counter showing you how much paper you are saving
- CleanPrint only works when printing websites
- Sometimes you can't delete a part you don't want to print
- Doesn't work on every website (although most text heavy sites work OK)
- Print view doesn't always look very good
While it does not work everywhere and it does not always format the document I want to print correctly, I think that CleanPrint is worth installing and trying out.